The Migration Toolkit for DOORS is SodiusWillert’s newest data migration solution. Keep reading to learn more about the new product’s feature highlights.
Retain your Requirement Content
IBM DOORS has rich expressions for your data, including tables, rich-text, OLE objects, images, and tables. IBM DOORS Next has similar concepts, but they are not the same. The Migration Toolkit for DOORS does the hard work of recreating these artifacts as they would natively in DOORS Next:
- Rich Text is transformed into HTML,
- OLEs become wrapped resources while retaining their MIME types for previews in DOORS Next (no embedded RTF files),
- Images are extracted, and non-portable WMF images are converted to PNGs,
- DOORS tables become HTML Tables for quick and native editing.
Flexible Mapping to DOORS Next Schema
DOORS Next has a new flexible schema design to support your requirements management process. With it comes a flexible type scheme with different modules and requirements types. The Migration Toolkit for DOORS mapping for migrations focuses on how to map to your new target scheme in DOORS Next, including:
- Mapping of DOORS modules to DOORS Next Module types,
- Mapping of DOORS Objects to DOORS Next Artifact Types based on attribute settings,
- Populating Attributes in DOORS Next based on the DOORS Next Type, which only brings over the attributes an artifact needs,
- Flexible mapping of DOORS Attributes to several DOORS Next Attributes,
- Flexible mapping of DOORS Attribute values to different values in DOORS Next,
- Flexible mapping of DOORS Links to custom link types in DOORS Next.
Migration Sets to Drive Coordinated Migration
Migrations don’t focus on individual modules; they are usually entire projects or collections. The migration toolkit supports the selection of DOORS Projects and Folders as the containers of modules intended to be migrated to DOORS Next.
This definition of a unit of migration allows for cohesive migration events, including the following features:
- Select modules in a DOORS Hierarchy,
- Identify DOORS Next Projects to which they will be allocated,
- Identify what Component and Stream they will be part of for each Module,
- Create changesets enabling a review and approval of migrated assets.
Flexible & Incremental Migrations
The idea of moving an entire repository at once is a rare activity, both technically and organizationally. With the Migration Toolkit for DOORS teams are enabled to define cohesive units of migration.
The migration toolkit provides the ability to migrate your teams incrementally with the following features:
- Locate modules in any project and component in DOORS Next,
- Provide the review of migrations before finalizing the delivery,
- Provide the ability to (re)link across Projects and Components (both in your current migration event and previous events),
- Low overhead migrations via standard DOORS Next APIs allow flexibility to the size and number of simultaneous migrations.
Pre-Migration Data Checks
Migrations and mappings can be complicated, so it is important to understand what to expect when planning for a successful tool migration.
The Migration Toolkit for DOORS provides a collection of checks and warnings that allow engineers to check their migration before execution. By executing the mapping on the real data (but not performing the migration), a quick review of behavior and potential issues can be observed and reviewed even before executing, providing the following insights:
- Check for existence of DOORS Next structures and types,
- Validation of the mapping rules,
- Warn of incomplete and inconsistent source data,
- Identify DOORS content that may not be represented well in DOORS Next.