In part 1 of this article, we covered challenges and options for Jira users in complex systems and software engineering projects and how they can benefit from leveraging OSLC Connect for Jira for integrating Jira with requirements management tools such as IBM DOORS Next.
Today we are focusing on the requirements engineering discipline and how requirements engineers can be provided with full control and traceability along the entire engineering lifecycle.
Project management: when requirements documents are mandatory success factors
As a Requirements engineer working with IBM DOORS Next, you know that precise and complete requirements are a mandatory prerequisite for a successful project. BUT even the ideal set of requirements does not help a lot if you are the only one who is aware of what is required. Your concerns are:
- You want to make sure that all team members know precisely what they are expected to deliver.
- You want to see the full track of engineering artifacts associated with your requirements along the lifecycle.
- You need to be sure that there are no loose ends in your traceability reports
- You want to be able to identify how requirements relate to modules under development, test cases, and test runs.
- You need clarity regarding which sets of requirements belong to which variants and generations of systems. Ultimately, at any point in time, you need to see a complete and accurate picture of how each and every requirement relates to a change request, other requirements adding details to the same request, when and how these are implemented and tested, and, finally, if the initiating request has been closed as successfully completed.
Ideally, you can see this at any time and in real-time directly in IBM DOORS Next, your preferred work environment.
Change management: when you need full requirements traceability
OSLC Connect for Jira provides seamless integration between IBM DOORS Next and Jira, using the OSLC standard. You will have access to original artifacts, see all assets in your preferred tool environment, no matter in which repository a specific asset is maintained, and much more.
For IBM DOORS Next users all Jira artifacts related to your requirements are available as logical enhancements within the DOORS Next user interface. From requirements in IBM DOORS Next you can easily link to Jira epics or stories and have those displayed without leaving DOORS Next.
With the OSLC-based Jira DOORS Next integration you will benefit from:
- Better traceability from requirements to change requests and throughout the lifecycle. Easily visualize how change requests are processed and reflected in requirements.
- Full real-time visibility of implementation progress linked to your requirements.
- Accurate data: OSLC ensures the accuracy of data at any point in time (no copies, no different versions)
- Complete up-to-date data is automatically provided, reducing the need for manual data collection and assembly.
- Accelerated delivery. Iteration cycles and time-to-market are shortened.
- Demonstrating compliance becomes easier. Documentation, e.g. as required by quality management processes or homologation authorities in regulated markets, can be produced much faster and will always incorporate the actual latest version data.
For engineers working with IBM DOORS Next the OSLC-based integration with Jira feels like a seamless functional extension to their well-known and familiar user interface. They can relate to project assets in Jira as native artifacts, use standard dialogs, work with configurations, and create enterprise reports across IBM DOORS Next and Atlassian assets and correlations.
Integrate IBM DOORS Next with Jira with OSLC Connect for Jira
OSLC Connect for Jira links systems and software engineering tools for teams developing highly complex and regulated products.
Users can link, access, and report live data respecting the software development lifecycle, and requirements of the product, meeting regulatory approvals, and providing proof of compliance.
Achieve complete traceability with a solution trusted for ease of use, reliability, and fast-adoption support by industry leaders. A few of the product’s benefits include:
- Better traceability from change requests to requirements and onwards in the lifecycle.
- Demonstrating compliance becomes easier.
- Accelerated delivery, shorter iteration cycles, and time-to-market.
- Accurate data at any time, thanks to the linked data concept.
- No more loss of data.